Layout

Monday, November 18, 2013

"It's not just other places, Kelsey….It's here too."

Some of you may know I am in the process of finishing writing my Senior Thesis. Every Senior religion major at LaGrange is required to do one and we choose our topic and get it approved. This entire semester I've been reading, researching and writing about Sex Trafficking. I've specifically focused on women in the United States and even more directly in Atlanta- since it is such a prominent hub for the commercial sex industry. The religious aspect of my thesis focused on the Church's response to this issue that enslaves an estimated 27 million people worldwide- of which 80% of these people are women and girls. 

I could go on telling you story after story of the women I have read about, listened to, and watched that were forced or coerced into a lifestyle of pain that lacked any freedom. This topic has not been easy to research and even more difficult to digest it enough to write a profound, intelligent, passionate paper. At times it has been disgusting, too cruel to see, too graphic to look, and too degrading to comprehend. 

But tonight as I sit here putting the final touches on my paper, I was reading a few testimonials of women who survived this industry in Atlanta. I was overcome and really felt like the Lord began to speak to me. I have a heart to serve in whatever capacity the Lord desires, but I have felt over the past few years that He is definitely calling me to minister in Columbus. I love this town and this place I call home is a community I am drawn to love. So my raw, innocent, gullible concerns sounded like this in my head: "I wonder if it's happening in Columbus on a large scale? Surely, not. It can't be happening here…I live here. I've never seen it.

But all I heard the Lord telling me "It's not just other places Kelsey…It's here too. I want you to do something here." I'm just an optimistically naive person. Like most people I don't like to think the bad stuff is where I am. So I just googled "sex trafficking in Columbus, Georgia." I wanted to know. Hoping there wouldn't be hardly any related searches…Crossing my fingers to see Google's "I'm sorry..We've got nothin'!" message.

Unfortunately, that is not what I found. The first article was a new's report about a ring of prostitutes arrested. The second was literally an entire webpage of listings for women and girls. I scrolled down through hundreds and hundreds of names advertising their "services" and location… IN COLUMBUS!  I can barely type these words as I push through tears of deep sorrow. I was so overcome in these moments, while scrolling down. I just cried while I read, "Candy…Bela…Jessica." And even worse reading the majority that were left nameless… as if being degrading to this form of work wasn't bad enough. They leave them nameless. 

I felt compelled after seeing this and writing my thesis and reading everything I have to write this blog. I just want the people in my beautiful hometown to know…It's not just happening in Asia…In Africa…in Europe.. In California.. In New York…or even just Atlanta. It's happening here, In Columbus. So we have to be aware. We have to learn and understand how this process starts and how men, women and children are tricked into this modern day slavery. Our awareness leads us to noticing our surroundings. If you see something suspicious or see signs of victims of sexual exploitation, be aware of how you can respond.

One of the best responsive options I have come across is an initiative from Polaris Project- a toll free, 24-7 hotline. They standby every second, minute, and hour of every day- READY. They are ready to help people find freedom, provide support, and connect victims to resources in their area. 
Call 1-888-373-7888 or text BeFree (233733). The National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) is a national, toll-free hotline, available to answer calls and texts from anywhere in the country, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.

I know it's overwhelming to think about this issue and much less to try and comprehend how to respond and help… But we have to think. We have to hurt. We have to pray. We have to love. And we have to want to find freedom for each and everyone that has been robbed by the sex industry of their dignity, their freedom, their identity…. and their name

We have to try…because it's here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment